Roger L. Stancil, Town Manager
George Small, Engineering Director
Lance Norris, Interim Public Works Director
Kumar Neppalli, Engineering Services Manager
Response to a Petition from Residents of Trinity Court and Pritchard Park for Several Traffic Safety Improvements
June 27, 2007
This memorandum responds to a petition from residents of Trinity Court and Pritchard Park requesting several traffic safety improvements. A copy of the petition is provided in Attachment 1.
We are recommending the following traffic safety improvements in the area:
No action is required by the Town Council.
On May 21, 2007, residents of Trinity Court and Pritchard Park presented a petition to the Council requesting the following traffic safety improvements:
1) Install street lights on Trinity Court and Pritchard Avenue Extension
2) Install sidewalks, crosswalk with children crossing sign and flashing light at the intersection of Trinity Court and Pritchard Avenue Extension. Sidewalks were requested verbally during their petition presentation at the Council meeting.
3) Prune the trees along Trinity Court entrance way so that visibility is better
Please see the area map provided in Attachment 2.
Pritchard Avenue Extension and Trinity Court are Town maintained streets. Town staff conducted field investigation of the requested traffic safety improvements and make the following recommendations:
1) Install street lights on Trinity Court and Pritchard Avenue Extension:
Staff Recommendation: We have reviewed the existing streets lights and distance between the lights meets the Town standard of 220 feet. We recommend the following street lighting improvements:
a. Upgrade the existing Mercury Vapor street lights in the area to High Pressure Sodium
b. Install one additional street light on Prichard Avenue Extension between Trinity Court and Umstead Drive
Please see the map provided in Attachment 3 for existing and recommended street lighting improvements. Town staff will forward the street light recommendations to Duke Energy for implementation.
2) Install sidewalks, crosswalk with children crossing sign and flashing light at the intersection of Trinity Court and Pritchard Avenue Extension:
Staff Recommendation: The sidewalk on Pritchard Avenue Extension was identified in the Town’s 2006-2007 Sidewalk Construction Plan. The sidewalk project includes the following elements:
· Installation of sidewalk along the full length of Pritchard Avenue Extension from Umstead Drive to Longview Street and on the section of Longview Street from Pritchard Avenue Extension to North Columbia Street.
· One crosswalk and one raised crosswalk on Pritchard Avenue Extension near the Trinity Court intersection.
Please see the Attachment 2 for the sidewalk and crosswalk locations. Construction of the sidewalk and crosswalks will be completed within the next few months using a private contractor using 2003 Bond funds.
The Town staff installed the “advanced pedestrian crossing” signs on both sides of Pritchard Avenue Extension near Trinity Court. However, we do not believe that a flashing light for pedestrian crosswalk is warranted at this time. We think that the improved street lighting, raised crosswalk, and pedestrian crossing signs would improve the pedestrian safety in the area.
3) Prune the trees along Trinity Court entranceway so that visibility is better:
Staff Recommendation: Our field investigation indicates that trees and bushes are overgrown on both sides of Trinity Court and Town forces are in the process of trimming/pruning the trees and bushes. We believe that the recommended improved street lighting and pruning of trees in the area would improve visibility.
In addition to the above recommended improvements, the Town also plans to reinstall the pavement markings for the parking spaces located on Trinity Court in front of the Public Housing.
We think that the above recommended items would improve traffic safety in the area. Staff will take appropriate action to implement the above recommendations and continue to work with area residents for improving traffic safety.